At GCT, we don't ask you for personal information unless we truly need it. (We can't stand services that ask you for things like your gender or income level for no apparent reason). We don't share your personal information with anyone except when communicating names for ticket purchases, including but not limited to: plane flights, train passes, bus passes, ferry passes, concert/event tickets, admission/entrance fee tickets, hotel/hostel reservations, etc. We don't store personal information on our servers unless required for the on-going operation of one of our services.
Information We Collect
We may obtain personal information about you from various sources, including this and other Global Citizens Travel websites, Skype, when you call or email us or communicate with us through social media, or when you participate in events or other promotions.
The types of personal information we may obtain include:
- Your contact information (such as name, Twitter handle, postal and email address, or phone number)
- Contact information of friends or other people you would like us to contact
- Username and password for the account you may establish on our sites
- Payment details (including payment card number, security code, expiration date, cardholder name and billing address)
- Shipping information (including the shipping address and phone number)
- Passport information (such as age, date of birth and gender, PP number and expiration date)
- Information you provide by interacting with us through social media, including photographs
- Location information, such as the real-time geographic location of the device on which you install our mobile applications
- Shopping behavior and preferences, and a record of the purchases you make on our websites
In addition, when you visit our website, we may collect certain information by automated means, such as cookies and web beacons. A "cookie" is a text file that websites send to a visitor's computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor's browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A "web beacon," also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, is used to transmit information back to a web server. We also may use third-party website analytics tools (such as Google Analytics), that collect information about visitor traffic on our sites. The information we may collect by automated means includes:
- Information about the devices our visitors use to access the Internet (such as the IP address and the device, browser and operating system type)
- URLs that refer visitors to our sites
- Dates and times of visits to our sites
- Information on actions taken on our sites (such as page views and site navigation patterns)
- A general geographic location (such as country and city) from which a visitor accesses our websites
- Search terms that visitors use to reach our sites
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use the information we obtain about you to:
- Process, validate, confirm, verify, deliver and track your purchases (including by processing payment card transactions, arranging shipping and handling returns and refunds, and contacting you about your orders, including by telephone)
- Maintain a record of the purchases you make on our sites
- Respond to your questions and comments and provide customer support
- From time to time, we may use your personal information to send important notices, such as communications about purchases and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies. Because this information is important to your interaction with GCT, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.
- If you enter into a sweepstake, contest, or similar promotion we may use the information you provide to administer those programs.
- Enable you to communicate with us through our blogs, social networks and other interactive media
- Publish your testimonials about Global Citizens Travel including on our websites and blogs, and on social networks (if we choose to publish your testimonial, we will include only your first name, last initial, city and state)
- Tailor our services to suit your personal interests and the manner in which visitors use our sites, applications and social media assets
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business and the products and services we offer
- Analyze and enhance our marketing communications and strategies (including by identifying when emails sent to you have been received and read)
- Analyze trends and statistics regarding visitors' use of our sites, mobile applications and social media assets, and the purchases visitors make on our sites
- Protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities, and manage risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users
- Comply with applicable legal requirements and industry standards and our policies
- We also use personal information to help us develop and improve our trips, services, content, and advertising.
Information We Share
We do not sell or otherwise disclose personal information about you, except as described in this Privacy Notice.
You may choose not to receive marketing email communications from us by emailing us and asking to be taken off any promotional lists.
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to assist us in protecting the personal information we collect against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. For example, we use Secure Sockets Layer encryption to protect certain of your purchase information while in transit. Please note that no electronic transmission of information can be entirely secure. We cannot guarantee that the security measures we have in place to safeguard personal information will never be defeated or fail, or that those measures will always be sufficient or effective.
Our Companywide Commitment to Your Privacy
To make sure your personal information is secure, we communicate our privacy and security guidelines to all GCT employees and strictly enforce privacy safeguards within the company.
How to Contact Us
Global Citizens Travel is headquartered in New York, N.Y. We pride ourselves on responding to emails quickly... try us!
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, please contact us by email.
Last date modified: 10/24/12